Frequently asked questions : Accounts - schools and clubs
The accounts you have purchased can be found in the tool Manage Student Accounts.
Here you can create accounts for your students, set up classes and change settings. See also: How doe I set up accounts for my students?
Go to the Chessity schools page. You will see the page below. Click on the button to start:
Now you can create the new account. Fill in your details and click on Create account.
View price for desired number of accounts
After this, the page appears on which you can indicate how many accounts you want to buy. Fill in the desired number of accounts to see the price. The more accounts you buy at once, the lower the price. (After purchase, accounts must be activated, after which they will be valid for one year. Unactivated accounts will be kept in store until you need them.) Note: one of the accounts you buy will be set up for the teacher, so always buy one extra account.
Fill in the requested information and click Buy now to purchase the accounts. After a successful payment you will receive a confirmation email. The accounts can then be activated immediately.
If you have purchased a school or coach account, you have to create a new account for each individual student. Here’s how you do it.
In the menu bar, click on Coach:
This opens to Coach page. In the section 'Premium coach tools', click on Manage students:
Click on Add new student:
This opens a pop-up window in which you can add a new student.
It is recommended to use a logical system when creating usernames that is easy to remember. For instance the child’s first name, preceded by a standard addition per school and/or group.
After the new student account has been created, the student is added to the list of students, where you decide which of the user options you want to activate or deactivate for the student in question.
All teachers or chess trainers who teach with Chessity need their own coach account. When buying accounts, count not only the number of students who will be working with Chessity, but also the number of teachers at your school or chess club.
When buying accounts, no distinction is made between student accounts and coaching accounts. Only when you activate an account from your stock do you choose whether to use the account for a student or a teacher.
Every teacher who teaches with Chessity needs their own coach account. A coach account is a regular account with coach settings. Check your accounts settings to see if your account has coach settings:
Additional coach accounts
Addditional coach accounts for other teachers in your school or chess club are created in the Coach Manager tool on the Coach tab:
Click on the button Add a new teacher or coach:
A pop-up will appear in which you can create a coach account for the teacher/coach:
Does the other teacher/trainer already have a Chessity account? Then use the Add existing account function to give this person coaching rights for your school or club.
- All chess content components (lessons, training drills, games)
- Student account management
- Teacher account management
- Student monitoring dashboard
- The IWB tool 'Demo board'
- Tool to assign tasks
- Examination Tool
- Access to blogs, community and forum
An existing Chessity account can very easily be included in the student management of a school or chess club. This gives the teacher or chess coach an insight into the results and allows the teacher to adjust user settings for this student.
There are two possibilities:
- The student has a privately owned, individual Chessity account
- The student has a Chessity account through a school or chess club
A different method of working applies to both situations:
1. The student has a privately owned, individual Chessity account
On the Coach tab, go to the tool Manage Students:
Click on the blue button 'Add existing student account':
Enter the user name, click on the user name when it is shown and confirm with Add. The user is now conditionally included in your student administration:
The student must give permission for the remote management of his account. The next time the student logs in again, they must approve these permissions. This message is displayed on their home screen:
2. The student has a Chessity account through another school or chess club
In the case of a student who already has a Chessity account via another school or a chess club, the method above usually cannot be used. Usually the school/club chooses user settings that shield children from contact with users from outside the school/club. A protected account cannot be found by clicking on the 'Add existing student account' button.
To gain insight into the student's results, you need to ask the other teacher of coach (who created and manages the student account) to share rights with you (see: Can I assign students to different coach?).
The online safety of our protected users is paramount. It is therefore not possible to request this via the system. There will always have to be personal contact between both coaches.
Yes, that is possible. Create a new student account for the student in question. It is possible to remove this account within three days after activation (and the account is re-added to the number of available premium accounts). This allows the student to try Chessity for three days.
No, the email address is optional, which means you can leave it empty. Note: as a coach, do not enter your own email address with all your students. That does not work. For each Chessity account, a unique email address is required.
In the menu, go to Coach.
Click on Manage students.
Now click on the blue button Buy more premium accounts and follow the instructions on your screen.
If you receive a notification when you create a new student account that the filled in e-mail address is already in use, this means that there is already an account associated with this e-mail address.
This account may be:
- a (free or premium) individual account that your student has
- an account of someone in the same family (parent, brother or sister) using the same e-mail address
Choose your solution
There are several solutions. It depends on the situation which option is best for you to choose:
- Delete the existing account and create a new student account with the same email adress. All old user data will be deleted and cannot be retrieved.
- Change the email address of the existing account. You can now use the desired email address for the new student account.
- Create a student account without entering an email address. Email addresses are optional for student accounts. This option is useful for siblings attending the same school or chess club.
- Convert the existing account to a student account. Your student can continue to use his/her own account, but you now have full coach rights
After you create a student account, the name of the student appears in your list of student accounts.
Within three days after activating an account, it is possible to remove the account. Click on the recycle bin icon on the far right in the overview. This will remove the account and add it to the number of available premium accounts. You can now create the student’s account again.
Do you only discover the error after three days? Unfortunately, it will no longer be possible to replace the user name (screen name).
If there is an error in your student's first or last name, you can easily edit it in via Manage Student tool on the Coach tab:
Click on the pencil icon of to the student in question:
In the pop-up that appears, change the fields first name and/or last name:
Student accounts created by a teacher or coach can only be deleted within three days after activation. The canceled accounts are added to the number of accounts in stock.
After three days, canceling an account is no longer possible.
However, it is possible to remove students from the student management tool, for instance because they have left school or are no longer a member of the chess club.
Remove student from your student management tool
On the Coach tab, open the tool Manage Students:
Check the student in question. Then, in the drop-down menu below the student list, click Remove students and OK.
Once you have confirmed that you really want to do this, the student is no longer in your student administration.
The account has now been converted into a regular individual account, without any link to a school or club. The user in question can still log in to their Chessity account. After the premium subscription has expired, the user can renew their account themselves.
Purchasing and paying by invoice is only possible for schools. In order to compensate for the extra costs we have to make, we charge € 20 to the order. If you want to make use of this possibility, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students’ settings are managed in the Student Management tool (accessible via the Coach tab in the menu bar). This tool shows a list of all your students and their settings. Below you can read about the settings and how to use the student management tool.
- Add a student to your student management who already has a Chessity account. See also: Is it possible to convert an existing account into a student account?
- Add a new student. You activate one of your purchased accounts and set it up for the student.
- Pupils who have been inactive for a longer period of time are no longer shown in the student list. This button makes them visible again.
- Sort the student list by user name (alphabetically ascending or descending) or use the search field to search for a user name.
- Sort the student list by name (first name alphabetically ascending or descending) or search for a name using the search field.
- Add a note.
- Sort the list by group (alphabetically ascending or descending) or search for a group using the search field.
- Extend the premium account period by 12 months. These 12 months will commence after the original expiry date. In order to renew an account, you need to have enough premium accounts in stock.
- Change your student's password or personal information.
- Turns the Simplified mode (the children's learning environment) on or off. Default setting: Simplified mode on. See also: What is the Beginner mode?
- Unlock all lessons for an advanced student. He or she can skip easy lessons. Our advice is to be reluctant in unlocking lessons. Default setting: all lessons locked.
- Shield the student from contacts with strangers. By ticking Protect student, you ensure that children can only communicate within their own group. Default setting: Protected status on.
- Enable or disable the chat feature. The chat feature is a popular function within classes but sometimes leads to unwanted behavior. We recommend that you allow this function to be performed under normal circumstances, as it provides children with an important 21st-century skill. Default setting: chat enabled.
- Lock or unlock the Arena. With a locked arena the student must first get 5 stars (per week) to be able to play games in the Arena. Default setting: Arena locked with star lock.
- Enable or disable Chessto tasks. Chessto keeps track of which lesson(s) still have to be made in order to get a new sticker on the way to the exam. Once a week, Chessto distributes these lessons to the pupils as a special mission. If a student already has been assigned tasks by their teacher, Chessto does not hand out missions. Default setting: Chessto tasks on.
- Use this green button to show or hide the 'Groups' widget.
- This button allows you to purchase one or more new student accounts, which you can activate when you need to. Above the button you can see how many accounts you still have in stock.
- Use this widget to divide your students into groups.
- Use this widget to remove students from groups.
- This is a useful feature if you want to change settings for multiple students in one go. Manually tick the students in question, or tick ‘Select all’ to select all students at once.
- The most important settings are briefly explained here.